Friday, January 25, 2013

How I Learned to Knit (Part 2)


My quest to learn to knit had begun.  I successfully purchased a booklet, some yarn and some needles.  I excitedly went home.  Once at home I sat on the living room floor, cross-legged with the book laid out in front of me.  I started to read.  I felt confident, and excited.
Please understand that this was 2001 and there was no You Tube in order for me to see knitting in motion.  Please understand that I had no seasoned family member around to teach me. It was just me and my $6 booklet.
It was a bit daunting, but I had a mission.  With slow and calculated concentration, and careful attention to detail in the pictures I began casting on.  The casting on was not too hard.  The knitting was very hard that initial time.  I had no idea what I was looking at.  I couldn't get the yarn to go where it was supposed to. I got extremely frustrated.
 The author instructed to knit loosely.  What’s loosely?  That’s a relative term.  After trying and trying, I got a bit snarky.  Loosely huh?  Ok, I’ll show you (i.e. me) loosely.  I exaggeratingly and spitefully made the cast on as loose as I could.  I exaggeratingly and spitefully pulled the loops through the other loops as loose as I could. It worked!  Holy hell, I was knitting.  That will show me.  So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment