Monday, January 21, 2013

How I Learned to Knit (Part 1)


In 2001 I decided that I wanted to learn how to knit.  Down to The Rag Shop I went. First I found the yarn aisle, that part was easy. Then I turned the corner…

There I was faced with a large and untidy set of racks with loads of magazine-sized booklets sporting uninspired titles like "Weekend Afghans to Knit and Crochet", and "Knitting Patterns for the Whole Family."

As I just mentioned, the entire area was a mess, and the booklets all seemed to be published in the early 90’s.  It was frightful.

Tons of stuff like this.  

They were all so ugly not my style. However, if I wanted to learn to knit, I had to persevere.  What I needed was an instructional booklet.  I found and settled on one titled “Learn to Knit in Just One Day”

Just one day? Perfect! 

You know the saying about books and covers and judging.

The booklet recommended starting with a pair of 10 inch long, size 7 needles. It also recommended getting some worsted weight yarn in a light color.  I chose a pair of metal Boyle needles that were medium grey, and some acrylic yarn which was medium grey.  (I didn't do color back then.)

That book which cost all of $6 and change is one of the best purchases I have made in my entire life.   

To be continued…



No comments:

Post a Comment